The "Princeton Cannon Song" was created in 1906 by J.F. Hewitt and A.H. Osborn, both of the Class of 1907, and dedicated to their class. The front page of the first edition of the "Princeton Cannon Song" reads:
The "cannon" is a revolutionary relic planted muzzle down on the campus. Football victories over traditional rivals are celebrated around it by the light of a huge bonfire, for which the Freshman Class supplies the fuel.