The Daily Princetonian, first published as The Princetonian in 1876, became the second-oldest college daily newspaper in 1892, when it was given its current name. It is commonly known as The Prince and is the most widely read news source on campus.
The Prince is created and published by around 200 students, and is independently managed by students and a graduate Board of Trustees (mostly former Prince editors and staffers). It is self-funded, primarily from advertising revenue, without support from the University, and has an annual budget over $600,000. The print circulation is about 2,000, complemented by some 30,000 daily hits on its website, live since 1998.
In 2006, The Prince archives were digitized and indexed, and its 138-year publishing history is available online.