1757-1852: The Campus' First Expansion

Map
Map: Beyer Blinder Belle Architects & Planners LLP, "Princeton Campus Plan," published 2008
 
Princeton developed into a village with relatively easy access to Philadelphia and New York. The campus was organized as an open quadrangle with a central axis and Nassau Hall at the center. The new campus reflected the high value placed on the preservation of landscape openness by maintaining generous spaces between buildings.

The town of Princeton continued to expand outward from Nassau Street as well as in the Princeton Basin area with hotels, offices, loading basins and factories dependent on the canal and railroad.